This is an easy pie that is easy to make and perfect for those that love tangerine or citrus desserts. You can bake this dessert up in a convection oven while traveling!
Serves 6 – 8
1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 cups fresh tangerine juice
4 fresh egg yolks
1 tbsp. butter, soft
1 cup whipped topping (optional)
1/2 cup fresh rinsed berries (optional)
- Bake pie crust as directed and set aside to cool.
- Remove pie pan from the oven and let the pie crust cool to room temperature.
- While pie crust is baking, prepare the custard.
1. In a medium saucepan with heat off stir together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Turn stove heat to medium high and slowly whisk in tangerine juice.
3. Continue to whisk until the filling comes to a boil.
4. Continue to cook over med high heat whisking the filling for 2 minutes.
5. Turn stove off.
5. In a small bowl whisk egg yolks, add 1/2 cup of the custard to the yolks while whisking (tempering the mixture) which prevents the yolks from curdling in the warm custard.
6. Add the tempered mixture back in to the tangerine custard and whisk to combine.
7. Add butter. Whisk custard until butter is melted.
8. Pour custard into cooked pie crust.
9. When Custard is cool top with berries or whipped cream.