No need to heat up your kitchen or RV with this quick, easy Instant Pot recipe… and this is so good. Serve the chile verde over rice or on its own with some baked zucchini chips. If you have extra sauce, grab a small bag of baked tortilla chips or some raw vegetables and enjoy!
This recipe happens to be an exception to the IP 1 cup minimum liquid guideline as the tomatillos provide some of the liquid.
Instant Pot 6 quart Can be prepared in 3 quart or 8 quart IP also, just scale the recipe to stay below the maximum fill line.
Package leftover portions in freezer zip top bags. Refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months
4- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 onion, peeled and cut in quarters
1 jalapeno pepper
2 Anaheim pepper or mild Hatch chile
2 poblano pepper
8 medium tomatillos, cut in half
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup baked tortilla chips or homemade baked zucchini chips
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 limes cut in wedges
- Insert the stainless steel IP insert into the Instant Pot.
- Rinse and dry chicken, peppers and onion, set aside.
- Cut the onion and peppers into quarters, set aside.
- Peel the wrappers off the tomatillos. Wash the tomatillos well under running water.
- Cut the tomatillos in half, set aside.
- Season chicken with spices, salt and pepper.
- Place stainless steel liner in the IP. Turn IP to SAUTE.
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot, top with tomatillos, onions and peppers.
- Saute' and stir ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Close IP and the steam vent.
- Select the MANUAL mode, high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When pressure cooker time is complete, release steam with the quick release method.
- Remove chicken from the IP and set aside on a plate.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables and natural juices in the IP, then return the chicken to the pot.
- Turn off heat. Serve chile verde in soup bowls. Top with sour cream, grated cheese and chopped cilantro.