Here is a recipe for an appetizer I paired at the recent Roadtreking Gathering at Indian Leap Winery in Sonoma California. The appetizer is refreshing and paired fabulously with the Indian Leap Wineries Grenache. Enjoy this as a small bite or top a green salad with a slightly larger portion (1/2 cup per serving) and enjoy as a main meal.
Serves: 1- 2 as a main meal on top of salad greens or 4 as a small bite appetizer
Fresh Crab Salad
1 cup fresh lump crab
1 cup pico de gallo
fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
2 cups chopped green salad (for a main meal salad).
Salad dressing of choice (I made the vinaigrette and orange peel infused olive oil that follows):
Triple Citrus Vinaigrette
I prepare this salad dressing and keep it in the refrigerator to use over a couple of weeks.
1 lime (zest only)
1 orange (zest only)
1 lemon (zest only)
1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups olive oil, good quality
- Rinse and dry the citrus.
- Remove the zest (no white pith) of each of the citrus using a rasp, grater or paring knife.
- Pour vinegar into a blender, add citrus peel and process on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- Let mixture rest for a minute then strain the liquid using a cheesecloth.
- Pour infused vinegar back into the white wine vinegar bottle, apply bottle cap, refrigerate and enjoy over the next 2 weeks. Combine infused vinegar with olive oil or infused olive oil to make a vinaigrette.
Orange Peel infused Olive oil
2 oranges (zest only)
1 cup olive oil
- Rinse citrus and pat dry.
- Remove zest from the oranges (no white pith).
- Pour olive oil into a small saucepan and add the orange zest.
- Heat on low heat for 10 minutes. Do not allow the oil to boil.
- Take the saucepan off heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Pour the infused cooled oil into a clean ball jar or other covered container.
- Enjoy the oil over the next couple of weeks.
Pico de Gallo (store bought or recipe as follows):
2 roma tomatoes (seeded) medium diced
1/3 tsp sweet and onion and jalapeno fine diced
To make the vinaigrette for the crab, combine the infused vinegar and oil in a 50/50 ratio and ground salt and pepper to taste.
Appetizer: Place 1 ounce of pico de gallo in a 2 oz. serving container, drizzle with 1/2 tsp. of vinaigrette. Top the pico de gallo with fresh lumb crab and drizzle again with a 1/2 – 1 tsp. of the vinaigrette.
Main dish: Place 1 1/2 – 2 cups of salad greens on a dinner plate or in a bowl. Drizzle vinaigrette as desired over the greens. Top with pico de gallo and 1/2 cup of fresh lump crab.
Note: Costco sell fresh lump crab in the freshly prepared coolers.