Cherry season has arrived. Here is a simple cobbler perfect for summer.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted (or 1 can cherry pie filling)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. water
2/3 cup uncooked oatmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp. soft butter (1/2 stick)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a colander rinse, stem and remove pits from ripe fresh cherries. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add the sugar and water. Turn heat to medium.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and reduce the simple syrup solution (sugar and water) slightly.
- Place 1/2 cup of cherries in a blender and pulse a few time to puree, then add puree to the saucepan.
- Make a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl using the cornstarch and water, stir to combine, pour into the saucepan.
- Bring pie filling base to a boil then reduce heat to simmer until thickened, add the remaining cherries (1 1/2 cups) to the saucepan. Stir until thickened then turn off heat and move saucepan off stove.
- Lightly spray a medium casserole dish then add the filling.
- In a small bowl combine the topping crumble for the cherry filling and crumble evenly over the pie filling.
- Bake cobbler in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- If you are using canned pie filling: spray the pan with baking spray, add filling, topping and bake!
Note: You can vary this recipe to use any fresh berry, sliced fruit or prepared pie filling you desire for your cobbler.
Microwave Mug Recipe (adaptation)
1/2 cup of fresh berries
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup quick oats, uncooked
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp butter, melted
- Place berries in a microwave safe mug, leave 1/2″ for topping.
- Add brown sugar and dry cornstarch over berries.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 sec. then stir.
- Microwave for another 30 sec. on HIGH or longer if needed to thicken the filling.
- In a small bowl combine topping mixture and sprinkle over berries.
- Place mug in a microwave safe bowl that is a little wider than the mug so that the bowl can to capture any filling over flow that may occur in the next step. Note: Liquids expand while cooking in the microwave so don't leave out this step!
- Microwave cobbler for 1 min. 20 sec. on HIGH then remove from the microwave and let the cobbler rest for 1 min. then serve.