This salad can be put together quickly for lunch or dinner for vegans or those on an unrestricted eating program.
1 head of baby romaine lettuce
6 spears of uncooked asparagus
6 cherry tomatoes
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup fruit or berries
1/4 cup finely sliced red onion
1/4 cup flavored vinegar of choice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp honey mustard
1 1/2 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse romaine, vegetables and fruit. Cut or snap and discard the lower 2″ of the asparagus spears.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil to a medium saute pan, turn heat to medium.
- When the oil is hot, saute the asparagus and cherry tomatoes for 3 minutes turning the spears as needed.
- Cut romaine into bite sized pieces. Blot lettuce dry or spin the salad in a salad spinner.
- Place lettuce in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut avocado into slices after peeling and removing the pit.
- Top lettuce with the fruit and vegetables.
- For vegan entrée: Chop and add 12 oz. can of drained jackfruit in brine solution to the salad.
- For unrestricted diet: Add 1 cup sliced or chopped cooked poultry, meat shrimp, crab, lobster or cheese as desired.
- Combine salad dressing with a whisk. Toss salad just prior to serving.