These ingredients make a tasty pie or 8 small tarts for the holidays. The green and red colors are perfect for the season and the combination of sweet and tart is delicious and refreshing!
1 Pillsbury ready-made refrigerated pie dough crust
3 Anjou pears
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup apricot jam
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
Directions for pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll 1 refrigerated pie crust onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Rinse 3 pears, remove stem, core, seeds and cut pear into thin slices.
- Place pear slices in a medium bowl.
- Warm apricot jam to liquefy the jam for easy spreading.
- Add 1/4 cup jam and dried cranberries to the bowl with the pear slices.
- Add almond extract and cinnamon sugar to the pie filling, stir to combine.
- Pour pie filling into the center of the pie crust leaving a 2″ plain border.
- Fold edges of the pie crust over the filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes then lightly cover the rustic torte (pie) with aluminum foil continue baking until the pie shell is golden brown (5 – 8) additional minutes.
- Brush top of pie or pie tarts with remaining apricot jam.
- If making small open face tarts in a muffin tin, baking time may be significantly reduced to 12 – 15 minutes.
- Bake until tarts are golden brown and pastry dough is cooked thoroughly.
- Let the rustic torte cool (on a cooling rack) for 10 minutes, then slice and serve plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whip cream.