This sauce takes a little time but rich is the depth of flavor… it will reward you with a tasty sauce that is perfect when making homemade enchiladas.
7 pods, dried red mild Hatch chiles
1 cup water
1- 2 cups chicken stock
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 oz. dark chocolate
2 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
- Wash chile pods, remove stems and seeds and place in a medium saute pan with 1 cup of water.
- Bring water to a boil then lower the heat to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Place ingredients in a high speed blender and process with the lid on for 3 minutes to fully breakdown the pods.
- In a medium sized saucepan add flour and oil, stir over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the chile liquid to the flour mixture and stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add add tomato paste and a cup or more of chicken stock until desired consistency is reached.
- Add chocolate, brown sugar, spices and canned tomatoes to the chile mixture. Simmer and stir over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.