Fajitas can make a quick easy lunch or dinner when traveling and can be prepared at the campsite or cooked in advance and finished in a few minutes after you arrive at your destination.
For vegetarian: omit chicken
For Vegan: Omit chicken, cheese and sour cream
Serves 1 or more
1 chicken breast or 3 chicken tender slices per person
1/2 bell pepper per person
1/4 onion per person (optional)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms per person
1/2 cup sliced zucchini per person
1/2 tomato, diced per person
1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
1/2 cup salsa per person
2 tbsp guacamole per fajita
1 – 2 tbsp sour cream per fajita
1 tbsp. cheddar cheese per fajita
salt and pepper to taste
medium sized flour tortilla quantity, as desired
- Rinse, pat dry and slice fresh vegetables.
- Slice defrosted or fresh chicken breast(s) into 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ pieces.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat and saute chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced vegetables to the saute pan with the chicken and continue cooking until vegetable are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Add salsa to the saute pan and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy fajitas with heated tortillas (flour or corn) and sour cream and guacamole. Notes: To modify for a non meat dish – omit the chicken and consider adding jack fruit or chopped artichoke hearts. You can easily vary the recipe in many ways by substituting other vegetables or proteins (shrimp, steak etc.).