Here is an easy way to have salads ready in advance of a camping trip. When you are ready to serve, just shake the jar and pour the contents into a medium sized salad bowl!
1 oz. salad dressing of choice (1 part flavored vinegar to 3 parts olive oil is delicious)
1/2 fresh broccoli crowns, rinsed and chopped
2/3 cup fruit or berries (I used, sliced strawberries and whole blueberries)
2/3 – 1 cup mixed greens, rinse and chop
- Rinse and dry a pint sized canning jar with cover and screw top lid.
- Pour salad dressing into the bottom of the jar.
- Top with chopped broccoli.
- Add fruit and berries.
- Fill remaining space in the jar with mixed greens.
- Store the pint size sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- To serve. Shake the jar and pour all ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
- Toss the salad and serve in a 12 oz. bowl. Note: Make a variety of salads to use over a 3 – 4 day time frame. Place liquid dressing at the bottom of the jar then layer with firm fruit or vegetables and top with mixed greens. If making the salad for 2 people, use a quart sized jar and double the portion sizes of all the ingredients.